Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Twilight Quilt: A Change of Plans

Four sections into my Twilight quilt, the designer had to put a hold on posting her directions due to personal reasons. By then a little group of TwilghtMOMs who were following her patterns had formed. We started a thread where we could talk about our quilts as we worked, show each other pictures, encourage each other, and talk about Twilight together. When the patterns stopped coming, we began to talk about ideas to finish off our quilts since none of us had ever seen the complete design.

I wanted to make a design to complete the four sections I had finished of the Mystery Quilt Heather started. I'd never seen her finished layout and wanted to keep my quilt traditional piecing. I intended for it to be a lap quilt for reading and I really wanted to finish it. One of the first changes I made was to the 'Edward' blocks. I wanted to use a full jewel box block, instead of just a half. I also wanted the diagonal blocks to represent the progression of eye color from gold to black and back again. So I went from these two 6" blocks:


to one 12" block. I couldn't decide if I wanted red or blue in the center, so since I was making two quilts, I did one of each.:


Next I decided to add a 12" Vampire Baseball block. After showing some friends my block, I was informed that home plate faces the other way. "Reverse Sewing" required.

Then I decided to see if I could work out a pattern to finish off the tops of those giant tree trunks.

As the trunks were needle-turn appliqué and I wanted to finish them off with traditional piecing, I didn't get very far and completely abandoned that effort.

Because I was floundering around trying to make a quilt without a design, I decided to draw up a layout of the blocks I had and the blocks I wanted to add. I based my design on that of Iris, another member of our group over at TwilightMOMS (Click on the image for a larger view).


I got to work, but I was already thinking about blocks that I'd left out, making notes on my layout of what I wanted to add. There are so many important and exciting parts to the books that I didn't want to leave anything out.

No comments: