Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Twilight Quilt: Meteor

Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars – points of light and reason. . . .And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything. –Edward Cullen, New Moon, page 514

One of the elements I included in all of my drafts of the quilt layout was a meteor. When I was showing Mr. Bug one of my revisions, he asked what the meteor was for. I told him that it was to represent the romantic lines Edward speaks to Bella at the end of New Moon and then I quoted him a bit of it. He commented that it was interesting that I would be quoting one of the Twilight books as if it were Shakespeare.

For my meteor block, I used this spectacular original pattern by Marcia Hohn, called The Night Sky. It is an 8" paper piecing pattern, which I reduced to 80% to make a 6" block. I used Fairy Frost fabric in three shades: Banana, Yellow and Gold, and my trusty black Civil War Reproduction fabric.


And just to show how it fits into the quilt, here it is added in:


Where to go from here? Charlie? Alice's Porsche? The Motorcycles?

No comments: