Thursday, May 26, 2011

I Must Ask . . . What Size Shoe Do You Wear?

When I feel bad I like to treat myself. Clothes never look any good... food just makes me fatter... shoes always fit. –Rose Feller, In Her Shoes

My feet have hurt me most of my life. When I was in college the doctor told me I didn't have enough cartilage between the bones and that was why. So I went barefoot whenever possible and wore sensible, comfortable, wide shoes — Dr. Martens to be precise — when they were necessary. My entire shoe wardrobe consisted of a pair of Docs, a pair of sneakers and two or three mid-height pumps. Don't get me wrong; I've always loved pretty shoes, but three hours each Sunday was pretty much all my feet could endure in anything other than supportive shoes.

About three years ago, I noticed that my feet didn't hurt so much all the time. So I bought a cute pair of flats and a couple of super high heels. I started wearing the flats all the time and on Sundays, I'd leave my heels on for an hour or so after church while I got dinner ready. As time passed, I started wearing wedge sandals in the summer and more fashionable, weather appropriate shoes in the winter. I've pretty much retired the Docs unless I have to trudge through the snow. I have decided that a little bit of discomfort is worth it for pretty shoes. Over the last month, I've started to wear heels to work three or four times a week.

Finding the perfect pair of shoes is so much fun. But it seems like the section for my size is always the smallest in the store with the poorest selection. Does anybody else feel that way? I've often wondered if it is because 8½ is an uncommon size and there aren't that many shoes made or if it is because it is a really common size and by the time I get to the store, all the good shoes are taken? So today I must ask . . . what size shoe do you wear?

Because shoe size is not universal but I only understand US sizing {even though I lived in Brasil for 18 months — I just tried shoes on until I found some that fit}, today's poll is in US sizes, but I've included this handy, dandy conversion chart so that if you live outside the US you can convert your size and vote in the poll. I'm interested to see how my foot fits in with all of yours.


Recently, I've started browsing for shoes on-line. I love it because at most sites you can narrow your search by shoe type, size, color, heel height and even price range. You can find exactly what you're looking for with just a few clicks of the mouse. Here are links to my favorites — but beware! You can get sucked in and spend hours upon hours drooling over the pretty shoes.
Endless
Zappos
Shiekh
Overstock
Shoe Dazzle

Oh, and before I forget, the results from last week's poll about whether you like beginning or ending a creative project best.

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented!

7 comments:

Paulette said...

I wear a women's 12, sometimes a wide, but it depends on the cut of the shoe. My feet are in proportion to my height, at least. Anything smaller and I'd probably tip over. :)

Thank goodness for online shoe stores and Payless. You can't walk into a department or shoe store around here and find a 12, not to mention anything cute in that size.

Impera Magna said...

I wear a size 11 in most shoes... for walking-type sneakers I need a 12. I love pretty shoes but there isn't much selection in the size 11s and if the store did have that size, they only got one pair and someone else already bought them.

I buy a lot of shoes online since I'm sick and tired of looking for shoes in stores only to be told they don't carry my size or don't have it in my size. Super frustrating.... can't remember the last time I bought a pair of shoes in a B&M store.

Once the internet was around, I was able to inform sales clerks who told me that the shoe I wanted wasn't made in my size... that the company did make that size, just YOUR store didn't order/stock that size. I don't like the implication that I'm weird/strange.

8.5 is a very common shoe size for women and I'm sure they sell out of that size quickly.

Funny story... when I first met my now DIL, she told me she had a hard time finding shoes in her size b/c her feet were so big... so I asked her what her size was. She told me size 11. I smiled at her and told her that was what I wore.... *lol* Bet she never thought she'd actually meet someone who wore an 11.

Shay said...

I'm a size 8 Australian which is probably the most common size here . Since Im a shoe-o-phile I never seem to have trouble finding shoes I love.

I've bought shoes online once - I probably wouldnt do it again since I like to feel how comfortable a shoe is before I commit. (Yep-Im really into comfort)

There is an Australian shoe brand called I love Billy that is my absolute favourite. I have loads of their shoes. Quirky and fun!!

Angie said...

I wear a 7 1/2 (most of the time). Of the 80 pairs or so that I have, there are a couple of 7s and a few 8s (mostly from when I was pregnant I'm sure). But I'm short so if my feet were any bigger than that I would look like a clown. lol
That 'shoes always fit' is one of my favorite quotes, I say it all the time. ;)

QuiltNut Creations said...

anywhere between a 9 and a 10 1/2 depending on the shoe. I did buy a pair of gorgeous red boots in an 11 because I couldn't pass them up and sadly, they didn't fit that large lol.

Amber said...

8.5 here too. You should try the website 6pm.com. Love them for their shoes. You can put in your size and see what they have. Flat rate shipping no matter how many shoes you order. :)

Jill said...

Apparently I have teeny feet. I'm a 6. But, the rest of me is kinda teeny, too. So, there you go. I don't think a 6 1/2 would fit, so I went for the lower category. I actually have a pair of little girls size 3 that DO fit me. Weird.
They are red glittery Dorothy shoes. I wear them for Halloween. Sometimes.

PS, I got my new shoes Saturday. I went for semi-practical. I really loved some red shoes with a cute square toe buckle on them, but thought I'd wear these brown shoes more often, instead. They aren't dressy, but they're not running shoes. There we are.