Monday, May 16, 2011

Various and Sundry Monday: Vol. 7

Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are. –Malcolm S. Forbes

I didn't really intend for Various and Sundry Monday to become a regular feature, but I kind of like talking a little bit about a lot of things that otherwise wouldn't fit into a post. So, here's what I've been up to lately.

Tweet Tweet Sneak Peek
I finally got it in gear and did some quilting on the Tweet Tweet quilt. I wanted to try some FMQ that I'd never done before and so I was nervous and found myself procrastinating working on this quilt. Once you take that first stitch, it's not so scary any more and you just go with it. What's the worst that could happen, right? Well, we all know the answer to that. If it comes out badly, either you live with it or you rip it out.

I like how the swirls came out. I tried another something new in the outer border and did not like that, so I'll be taking that out tonight. I want to finish this quilt in time for the Blogger's Quilt Festival, so I hope the frog-stitching goes quickly.

Mr. Bug's T-Shirt Quilt Update
I finally got started on the tag for Mr. Bug's quilt. I procrastinated this as well because the embroidery takes for.ev.er, but I like the indelibility of it. After I finished stitching the name of the quilt {Service Rendered; it just sounded so romantic} on the tag, I decided I probably should have called it QM2 {Mr. Bug's rank} because it is a little snappier. Too late now. Embroidery is way too fussy to unpick.

As soon as I get the tag finished and into the back, I can get quilting on this quilt. It is one of my Ph.D Challenge commitments and I'm anxious to get it finished because the Snowballs and the Pinwheel Sampler are calling my name and I'm determined to finish the four quilts I committed to for the challenge.

Lilacs Are Lovely
Our yard was pretty void of landscaping when we bought this house 10 years ago. Everything that is growing here was planted by me. Our back yard faces South, which means it is hot and sunny. In order to provide a little shade, I planted five lilac bushes along the back fence. And they have grown VERY slowly. I think I planted them in 2005 and they are finally taller than I am. This year there are tons of blooms that are just starting to open. They are so gorgeous and smell so beautiful. I have two varieties; pictured in the top left corner is the first bloom of the season, a Katherine Havemeyer. The other two are Congo Lilacs.

7 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your quilting looks amazing! And your embroidery is so perfect. Wonderful pieces of work!!

Jennifer Lovell said...

That's exciting for the lilac bushes to finally be measuring up! I remember smelling some beautiful lilac bushes in a park where I used to tract on my mission, and I've liked lilacs ever since.

Your quilting looks really nice--I like the swirls too, and the white thread was just the right choice for the print sections.

Shay said...

Loving your lilacs Elizabeth. You must be so psyched it's Spring.

The swirls on tweet tweet are sweet!(yes I tried to rhyme) I just dont have the patience for unpicking. If I sew it - it's stays there - whether I love it or not!

Love the label for Mr. Bugs quilt and cant wait to see the whole thing.

Paulette said...

Mm, I can imagine how great those lilacs must smell. Everything is so late this year, and my lilac bush is still just leafing out.

I just love your quilting on Tweet Tweet! You better not rip out anything in that photo, it's just dandy the way it is. Love the swirls in the chocolate brown part.

Good going on the label too!

Michelle said...

Hey, the FMQ looks terrific!

Mr. Bug's quilt is coming along nicely.

And the lilacs are gorgeous!

QuiltNut Creations said...

quilting looks great Elizabeth! I am envious of your lilacs; I planted one a few years ago-they take so long to get big and beautiful! nothing smells better then lilacs.

Barb said...

Your quilting is lovely!