Monday, May 30, 2011

Various and Sundry Monday: Vol. 9

Fear is the lengthened shadow of ignorance. –Arnold Glasow

You'll Never Guess: Rainy Monday Music Spot
It is Monday—and it is raining again! Seriously. It has rained four of the last six Mondays {4/25, 5/9, 5/23 and 5/30}. What are the odds? Where you live, it might not be a big deal. But in Utah? It's not very likely. We've had the wettest May on record. I haven't turned the sprinklers on yet, which is astounding and the weather has been lovely and cool. And so we must have a little music about rain. I am running out of songs I know and like {Rainy Days and Mondays will not be a feature on my blog. Ever.} about rain. If it rains next Monday, I'm going to have to enlist the help of Google. Today, I'm going with a little Queensrÿche. I had the cassette {do they still make those :confused:?} when it came out in the 90's.


T-Shirt Quilt Teaser
Mr. Bug's T-Shirt Quilt is almost finished. The quilting is done. The binding is on. I am just going to put on the final details and then throw it in the wash. And hopefully the weather will cooperate for a bit this evening so I can get some photos of the whole thing. It would be awesome to post a finish before I go to bed tonight. In the meantime, here's a little teaser.

Pretty Peonies
I love Peonies almost as much as I love Tulips. I have 16 peony plants in my yard and every spring, I go around counting to make sure they've all come back. When they start to bud, I go around and count how many plants are going to bloom and how many buds are on each plant. They are all old enough that they should bloom this year, but there are three plants that don't have buds on them . . . yet. I still have hope. Of the 16 plants, I have 14 different varieties of peonies. Only two plants are repeats. It just so happens that my two Sarah Bernhardt peonies are the first and last to bloom each spring. One of them sits in deep shade right outside the front door and is the last to bloom each spring. The Sarah Bernhardt that is planted in full sun right outside my back door is the first. The buds are just starting to burst open. The flowers are the palest of pale pinks and the magenta veining on them is just gorgeous.


My Next Washer May Be a Maytag Maxima
We have a DVR so although I usually have the TV on while I'm sewing, I don't watch many commercials. I love technology. The other day while I was skipping through the ads, I had to stop and go back because I'd seen the flash of a quilt in a commercial and it piqued my curiosity. The colors in the quilt are so pretty and the way they used it in the commercial tied their product to an emotional response. Way to go, Maytag!

3 comments:

Paulette said...

Thanks for the great song. I haven't heard this one in quite a while.

Love that peony bush. I would love to see more of them anytime.

Can't wait to see Mr. Bug's finished quilt. I sure like the quilting that I can see in your sneak peek.

pinksuedeshoe said...

I love that commercial! Thanks for posting it! So Scott is in a Monday night softball league.... and for the past 6 weeks their games have been cancelled due to rain! CRAZY!

Shay said...

I saw that washer /dryer combo when I last when scouting for a washing machine and fel in love. However I didnt love the price tag and got something more modest . I love the ad though. Maytag dont do TV ads here .

Mr. Bugs quilt is looking mighty fine and since Im playing catch up Im popping over to read the entire post you wrote about it in a minute.

Sorry to hear you;re having rain. It's a safe bet to assume that will stop imminiently whereas Im pretty much stuuck with icky weather till say ...November.

Love the peonies. They were a breath of beautiful for me because everything is dreary here to look at ...ahhh gotta love changing seasons. Winter officially started here today.