Thursday, May 12, 2011

I Must Ask . . . What's Your Sign?

A wise man shall overrule his stars, and have a greater influence upon his own content than all the constellations and planets of the firmament. –Jeremy Taylor

Thank you to everyone who commented and participated in the poll last week about right and left-brainedness. Getting to read your comments is my favorite part of this. Here are the poll results:

What's your sign? is arguably the most cheesy pick-up line. Ever. What would Mr. Smooth Operator do if your sign was incompatible with his? There's no graceful way out of that :rofl:.


The idea that every single person born during a certain time of the year has the same characteristics and traits leaves a bit of room for skepticism. If you pay attention to the different characteristics, blanket statements are made and then to cover all the bases, they are contradicted with an 'out' clause. I've complied a quick list of characteristics of each sign of the zodiac. Based on just those few adjectives, I could be a Virgo, Scorpio, Pisces or Taurus, and I identify with Aries and Leo. But I am a Capricorn and when I read through the complete profile, it really seems to fit me. Capricorns are loyal. Check. Ambitious? Check. Independent? Check. Resourceful? Moody? Unimaginative? Dictatorial? Check, check, check and check. But am I these things because the astrological gurus suggested it or because people born between December 22 and January 20 are just like that :confused:?

Mr. Bug is also a Capricorn {which must be why we butt heads so often :rofl:}, but he was born just inside the window and says he identifies more with Sagittarius. The gurus say that if you're born on the cusp {first or last day of a sign} to check the characteristics of the sign next to yours because there is some overlap. I have to admit, Mr. Bug is not as Capricornish as I am, but I don't think he's super Sagittariusish either. I think that they leave enough wiggle room and that the personality profiles are broad enough that you can pick and choose what fits you and leave the rest. So today, I must ask: what's your sign? And the follow-up question is, do you think your profile fits you?

I've just done a quick run-down of each of the signs here. If you want to read more about a particular sign, click on it and it will take you to a description of the characteristics of that zodiac sign. Make sure to choose your sign in the poll in the sidebar to the right and if you're so inclined, leave a comment.

Aries, The Ram: March 21-April 20
Positive traits: Independent, Generous, Optimistic, Enthusiastic, Courageous
Weaknesses: Moody, Short tempered, Self-involved, Impulsive, Impatient

Taurus, The Bulll: April 21-May 20
Positive traits: Dependable, Persistent, Loyal, Patient, Generous
Weaknesses: Stubborn, Lazy, Possessive, Materialistic, Self-indulging

Gemini, The Twins: May 21-June 20
Positive Traits: Energetic: Clever, Imaginative, Witty, Adaptable
Weaknesses: Superficial, Impulsive, Restless, Devious, Indecisive

Cancer, The Crab: June 21-July 22
Positive Traits: Loyal, Dependable, Caring, Adaptable, Responsive
Weaknesses: Moody, Clingy, Self-pitying, Oversensitive, Self-absorbed

Leo, The Lion: July 23-August 22
Positive Traits: Confident, Ambitious, Generous, Loyal, Encouraging
Weaknesses: Pretentious, Domineering, Melodramatic, Stubborn, Vain

Virgo, The Maiden: August 23-September 22
Positive Traits: Analytical, Observant, Helpful, Reliable, Precise
Weaknesses: Skeptical, Fussy, Inflexible, Cold, Interfering

Libra, The Scales: September 23-October 23
Positive Traits: Diplomatic, Graceful, Peaceful, Idealistic, Hospitable
Weaknesses: Superficial, Vain, Indecisive, Unreliable

Scorpio, The Scorpion: October 24-November 21
Positive Traits: Loyal, Passionate, Resourceful, Observant, Dynamic
Weaknesses: Jealous, Obsessive, Suspicious, Manipulative, Unyielding

Sagittarius, The Archer/Centaur: November 22-December 21
Positive Traits: Independent, Optimistic, Good-humored, Honest, Intellectual
Weaknesses: Unemotional, Careless, Superficial, Tactless

Capricorn, The Sea-goat: December 22-January 19
Positive Traits: Responsible, Patient, Ambitious, Resourceful, Loyal
Weaknesses: Dictatorial, Inhibited, Conceited, Distrusting, Unimaginative

Aquarius, The Water Carrier: January 20-February 19
Positive Traits: Witty, Clever, Humanitarian, Inventive, Original
Weaknesses: Stubborn, Unemotional, Sarcastic, Rebellious, Aloof

Pisces, The Two Fish: February 20-March 20
Positive Traits: Compassionate, Adaptable, Accepting, Devoted, Imaginative
Weaknesses: Oversensitive, Indecisive, Self-pitying, Lazy, Escapist

10 comments:

Jennifer Lovell said...

Regarding fitting with my profile, I'd say "yes" on all of them except lazy, materialistic, self-indulging, and patient. So I think I'm about a 50% fit (and why do you suppose they put both "generous" and "possessive" on the same profile? Seems like a contradiction to me). My hubby and I are both the same sign too, but I wonder if he's approaching the overlap of the previous sign, 'cause our birthdays are almost a month apart. Hmmm....

Paulette said...

Well, this subject is an interesting one. To answer your question, my sun sign is Leo, and I am all of the positive traits except that I am only confident and ambitious about half the time. As far as the weaknesses, none of them apply to me. Of course, that could just be the Leo part of me in denial, LOL.

That said, there is a whole lot more to astrology than your sun sign. There are 12 "houses" in an astrological chart, representing different facets of our life, and each house is controlled by a planet in various degrees of a particular sign (it's quite mathematical). Also, there is one's ascendant, or rising sign, that may give more clues as to one's personality than the sun sign alone, and this is dependent upon not only the date of birth, but the actual physical location (longitude and latitude) and exact time of day. Then you have things such as trines and squares between the planets, etc., i.e., what aspects may influence, oppose or frustrate others. Once you have had your entire detailed astrology chart done, it can hit eerily close to home. My mother, among other things, was an astrologer, so I grew up with all this stuff.

So do I read my horoscope? Nope!

Impera Magna said...

It's pretty much all nonsense.... fun nonsense tho... as you commented, the descriptors are pretty common in all folks.

I have to say the more detailed descriptions of a Leo are fairly on target for me.

Shay said...

I'm a Virgo, but my Mum is a qualified astrologer so I also know I have a Sagitarius ascendant(or something like that ) which makes me a loud Virgo.

For me there's a lot of truth to your list of traits. Obviously the negative traits are hokum!

JazznJenna said...

Regarding fitting with my profile, I'd say "yes" on all of them except lazy, materialistic, self-indulging, and patient. So I think I'm about a 50% fit (and why do you suppose they put both "generous" and "possessive" on the same profile? Seems like a contradiction to me). My hubby and I are both the same sign too, but I wonder if he's approaching the overlap of the previous sign, 'cause our birthdays are almost a month apart. Hmmm....

P. said...

Well, this subject is an interesting one. To answer your question, my sun sign is Leo, and I am all of the positive traits except that I am only confident and ambitious about half the time. As far as the weaknesses, none of them apply to me. Of course, that could just be the Leo part of me in denial, LOL.

That said, there is a whole lot more to astrology than your sun sign. There are 12 "houses" in an astrological chart, representing different facets of our life, and each house is controlled by a planet in various degrees of a particular sign (it's quite mathematical). Also, there is one's ascendant, or rising sign, that may give more clues as to one's personality than the sun sign alone, and this is dependent upon not only the date of birth, but the actual physical location (longitude and latitude) and exact time of day. Then you have things such as trines and squares between the planets, etc., i.e., what aspects may influence, oppose or frustrate others. Once you have had your entire detailed astrology chart done, it can hit eerily close to home. My mother, among other things, was an astrologer, so I grew up with all this stuff.

So do I read my horoscope? Nope!

Imperia_Magna said...

It's pretty much all nonsense.... fun nonsense tho... as you commented, the descriptors are pretty common in all folks.

I have to say the more detailed descriptions of a Leo are fairly on target for me.

whimsyfox said...

Taurus here...hah, not so sure about the patient part, and who are they calling lazy?! well, ok, I'll give them that....sure most of those traits fit, but so do some of the others.

Barb said...

Try no brains...HA!!

Michelle said...

Hey, I'm a Capricorn too. :-) However, my moon sign is Cancer and really, a lot of my traits are more in line with my Cancer moon. Go figure.