Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Creamy Black Bean Salsa Chicken

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.
–Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

I really love crock pot cooking. I requires minimal effort but the results don't reflect that at all. Once the ingredients are in the pot, you can leave it to its own devices. As a matter of fact, you can leave it home cooking while you do errands or work or whatever and there is no worry that the place is going to burn down while you're gone. Plus, when you come back home, your house smells all yummy and dinner is ready. This is one of our family favorite crock pot recipes. Even the picky eater Little Bugs like it. With ketchup :rolleyes:. The name is kind of a mouthful, so we just call it Chicken With Awesome Sauce. Trust me. It lives up to its name.

Creamy Black Bean Salsa Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup hot water
1 chicken bouillon cube {or 1 tsp bouillon granules}
1 cup salsa
1 can {15 oz.} corn, drained
1 can {15 oz.} black beans, drained
1 package taco seasoning
½ cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

• Dissolve the bouillon in the hot water; stir in the taco seasoning packet. Drain corn and black beans.
• Place chicken in a {greased} crock pot. Put black beans, corn and salsa over top of the chicken and then pour the broth and seasoning over top of everything.
• Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours {or 3 to 4 hours on high}.
• Remove chicken from the pot with a slotted spoon and place on a serving dish. Stir sour cream and cheese into the sauce in the slow cooker; pour the sauce over the chicken.

Serves 4

Notes:
• I like to make Mexican rice or even just plain rice and put the Awesome Sauce over both the chicken and rice. The Awesome Sauce is also great on tortilla chips.
• This makes A TON of Awesome Sauce. I only have a small crock pot {like 2½ quarts or something} and I have a small family so we always have a lot of sauce left over. If you have a bigger crock pot and a bigger family, you could easily do 8 chicken breasts and still have plenty of Awesome Sauce to go around.

6 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

yum that looks good!

Shay said...

I wonder if we can get black beans here ...would it taste different without them?

Barb said...

That looks so yummy....

Peggy said...

I think I'll try this sometime before the next week is over. It sounds really good and we just had supper!

Wanda said...

Yeah it's in the crockpot! I'm having company and wanted a delicious but easy meal and this is the ticket! Thank you for sharing. I did however, forget to grease the crockpot...I hope it will be okay. Nothing I can do about it now. :( I'll let you know what happens when it's done, but I suspect there is a sticky reason we are suppose to grease the pot! Yikes!

Jennifer Lovell said...

looks perfect! I'm going to pass this on to my hubby for our next Sunday crock pot dinner (he's the cook on Sundays), I can't wait to eat it!