Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fab{ric}ulous

The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path. –Mason Cooley

I didn't wait very long after Mr. Bug told me he'd gotten a job to do a little fabric shopping :mischief:. And let me tell you, it was fab{ric}ulous! And I managed to keep it under control. Everything you see here was bought on sale.

I won a Tweet Tweet Charm pack in Marg's giveaway a month or so ago {thank you Marg :hug:! You totally rock!} and when it arrived, I immediately thought, baby quilt! I decided to do another stacked coins quilt like Cozy Posies and so I looked through the charm pack to see what I liked for sashings and borders. Then I went on-line to see what was available. I found exactly what I was looking for on sale for $6 a yard. Of course, the shipping :rolleyes: cancelled some of that out, but I came out at least $1.50 ahead of what I would have paid in the shops, which is great since the one shop I saw it in around here didn't have what I wanted.

My next move was for solids. JoAnn's had a big sale on Kona Cotton and all their other quilter's solids last weekend. Everything was 40% off and I had an extra 25% off total purchase {they're doing that again in a couple of weeks :clap:; I've already staked out the batting situation and I'm going to take full advantage}. I got a pretty mauve to go with the Tweet Tweet, and then I got a solid to go with my Chubby Stars quilt, which stalled in the fabric purchasing stages due to lack of funding. This absolutely gorgeous solid is called Banana Cream and it will be the main background. I still need to get a solid for the star points, but at least I can start piecing the four-patches for the chains now. I might have to give up the hours between 1:00 and 6:00 am, but who needs sleep anyway :lol:?

I fiddled with my layout and added a chain border all around it {thanks for the inspiration, Karen}, and I'm still really excited about this quilt. My only problem is not enough time. Oh, and I have to find the perfect sort of khaki colored fabric to match the leaves on the roses for the star points. It is a really tricky color. It isn't quite tan and it isn't quite green and it is definitely not gray and I can't find anything that matches it anywhere. Well, I've only been to three stores. I guess I'll have to try a few more shops. That's not such a bad thing.

While I was in the solids, I picked up a bit of Kona Cotton in Chocolate for the back of the Metro Blues quilt. I've given up on coming up with a good name for the quilt and have decided to just call it Metro Blues for now, although P's suggestion of Chocolate in the City is still a contender. This is another quilt where my only problem with it is not enough time to work on it :lol:.

And last is this little bit of fabulousness. What :paranoid:? You don't think that a tan fabric with little tan circles on it is fabulous? Just wait. This little beauty is the foundation for the biggest polka-dot project in the history of polka-dots. It is going to be awesome. And it is on the official list, which means that once I finish Mr. Bug's T-Shirt Memory Quilt {which I'll update you on in a day or so}, I can work on making something amazing out of a little bit of tan fabric.

All told, I brought home 13¾ yards and I'm ready to start using it!

8 comments:

Angie said...

Score!

Impera Magna said...

Wow... lovely fabrics! Ya done good...

Paulette said...

Nice fabric! I can't wait to see how all your projects turn out. Too bad we can't manufacture another 24 hours in a day just to play with fabric!

Unknown said...

Holy cow! I'm exhausted just reading about all your projects! (I have some tan cirle-y stuff that I use in practically everything~~love it.)

Sarah Craig said...

Wow, Elizabeth, you did good! I, too, hit the Kona sale at Joann's and picked up the ends of the bolts (about 8 yards each) of Snow, Ash, and Chocolate! I would have bought full bolts if they'd had them.... And the batting is on my next list too! I wonder if we'll ever see $9.99 Warm&Natural batts again.....

Shay said...

Good for you Elizabeth. You deserve a bit of a splurge! I love the Tweet tweet and want to buy some but Im not sure what Ild do with it. Maybe I'll have to watch you for inspiration!

pinksuedeshoe said...

HOly Crap! I have a Kona color card if you want to look at it to see if there is the perfect color on it. You'd probably still have to order it online, but it might help?

Also, I bought that same dark pink/red/white polka dotty fabric for my pinks quilt. Love it!

elizabeth said...

Great fabric! It all looks beautiful. I'm sure you'll make some amazing things.