Monday, March 21, 2011

Magic

Things have a momentum, and at a certain point you can't really tell whether you have created the momentum or it's creating you. –Annie Lennox

I'm really excited to have this quilt finished. It has been hanging around ready for quilting since July. My list of Ph.D's is way too long and so it has been nice to cross a few things off the old list the past few weeks. I sewed a strip of squares across the back and included an embroidered :crazy: tag in the strip. I was as concise as possible and I used the biggest font I could fit into that 2" square {click on any of the pictures for a closer view; right click them to open in a new tab}. It went pretty fast and gets the job done.

I used fabrics from Frolic by Moda in this quilt. When it came out last spring, I fell kind of head over heels for it. At about the same time, I came across a tutorial that finally made Jelly Rolls make sense to me. It was kismet. I bought the Frolic Jelly Roll as well as some yardage {and then some more yardage after that}, but had other projects that needed my attention, and so I didn't get the top together until July. Then other projects got in the way again.

I think that at the time I was a little bit intimidated about quilting this quilt, or really any quilt for that matter. At the time I'd never quilted a whole quilt and was worried about messing up. I'd planned to do straight-line quilting in a diagonal cross-hatch pattern, and when I pulled it out to finish it, that still seemed to be the best idea. But I added a little flair to the top border. I echo-quilted the rick-rack and then did feathers across the top. It was fun. As you can see, it's not perfect. Doing larger/wider feathers was a little bit trickier than the narrower ones I did on Cozy Posies, but I still think they came out pretty all right.


This quilt is called Magic because that is what the tutorial is called. While I've been working on it I've had this little earworm all weekend long, so I thought I could share. What are friends for, right? The video portion is silly, but this one had the best audio {aside from the official video, which had embedding disabled}, and really, that is what music is all about, isn't it?




Today's post brought to you by:

My 2011 Finishes

11 comments:

Quiet Quilter said...

The more I see of the spring fabrics the more I love them..You did well, congratulations. Really snappy!

Shay said...

And it's gorgeous. Well done. I love the quilting on that one too!

Barb said...

Your quilt is just fabulous!

Angie said...

The quilting looks GREAT and I LOVE the ric rac idea. Good Job, great finish...I better get on the ball to cathch up! lol

Anne said...

Fabulous job! I so enjoyed viewing the enlarged photos. Your quilting is beautiful. Love it!

whimsyfox said...

so cute and sweet and creatively done. LOVE the rick rack and top border idea! I was never a fan of rick rack until I've seen the projects you've used these wide ones on.

So where's this one going to call home? on one of the beds or on a wall or for someone else?

Anonymous said...

It's absolutely beautiful!

Busy Quilting Mama said...

This quilt is beautiful and makes me long for spring.

Paulette said...

I love it, I love it! Awesome Sauce! (Did you see Parks & Recreation last week when Andy said that to April, or are you just thinking I read your recipe--or both?)

Anyway, back to your quilt, the quilting in the border is fantastic! The whole thing is just really fun and happy!

QuiltNut Creations said...

love it love it love it!! I can't decide which is my favorite part! great job!

Peggy said...

Well another way good quilt! I love it. The top boarder is so cute. Your quilt stiching is awsome! and the bright spring colors are so fun.