Friday, March 11, 2011

Favourite Things Friday: Spring

If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
–Anne Bradstreet

Spring does not officially start for 9 more days, but winter is doing a good impression of it today. For the first time in I'm not sure how long, I did not wear a jacket outside. The sky is a crystal clear blue. The air is fresh and crisp. The temperature is just right. Cheerful bunches of crocuses are popping up everywhere to greet you.
{Crocus Mix}

I think that the reason that spring is my favorite season is that you get to watch the earth come alive right in front of you. The bleakness of winter is replaced with longer, brighter, sunnier, more colorful days.
{Dwarf Iris Mix}

You can't help but be hopeful when dry, brown, dead looking things begin to bud. You know that something good is just around the corner.
{Katherine Havemeyer Lilac}

In my south-facing back yard, up next to the house where it is warm and sunny, the flowers think it is spring for sure. There are daffodils like crazy and nearly all of the hyacinths have bloomed. The air is thick with their fragrance. It is splendid.
{Daffodil Mix, Tête-À-Tête Daffodils, Blue Jacket Hyacinth}

Good weather makes it so much easier to be patient and cheerful. I'm sure it will snow at least once more before March is out, but it's not going to ruin my day. We're over the worst of the winter. It is a good day.



Today's post brought to you by:

9 comments:

Shay said...

I love Spring...I know you've all had a hard cold winter there so you're looking forward to some sun! The flowers look so cute poking out of what was snowy not so long ago!

And as my Northern Hemisphere friends are getting excited we are gearing up for trees to dump their leaves and dragging out our long sleeved shirts/jumpers. I did so hope we'd get another burst of really warm weather but that appears unlikely.

Thanks for playing along this week Elizabeth ...as our wwetaher gets colder I may ban summer type posts for FTF! (completely kidding )

Paulette said...

Wow, we're still a good month or more away from that kind of blooming, but I sure love seeing yours. It's been a long winter.

Jennifer Lovell said...

Winter-yuck! Spring-hooray!

Sara said...

Enjoy it - Summer pretty much passed us by down here and we're getting into autumn now, but it's nice to know *someones* getting nice weather.

Marg said...

I'm so glad to hear you seem to be over the worst of the horrible winter weather you have endured this year. Those photos of your spring flowers are just lovely. I love spring but we don't really have spring here and it's too warm for most of those bulbs. My favourite are hyacinths, I love the scent. THat is the one downside of living here.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I do love the spring bulbs! We don't get them where I live but I still love them and remember them from my childhood :-)

Unknown said...

You know we're still in the process of landscaping our yard. It's been bare dirt/mud for months in different stages of being graded, amended, tilled, watered, de-weeded, etc....(this weekend we're finishing up the raised planter beds for the side yard)

But in Feb we got a couple of daffodils from the bulbs that didn't manage to get found and pulled up. Right around the time you and Angie posted about your daffy's! Well, to be honest, those aren't my favorite flowers, but now I do have one of my favorites poking up - little grape hyacinths. They look like cute little fairy umbrellas! :) They are just starting to come up, I'm excited to see them all purply bloomy in the next few days! I let my grandmother pull up the daffy bulbs to take to plant in her house, but the little bitty hyacinths will be transplanted for sure to a better spot in our yard! =D

QuiltNut Creations said...

spring is oh so close now!!

Peggy said...

Spring has sprung the grass is riss
I wonder where the flowers is!
Oh, I guess you have to plant them to get them. Your gardens are so lovely!